Corkish and ex-Corkish Fruit Salad

Saturday, September 16, 2006

And the three things I will remember of this country ...

Oh man, it has taken taken so long since the last updates. I have started several times to write an update, a life update, an update on what is happening at the fruit garden, to its people.. and I have never had the guts to finish the updates. Let's try now.

It has been the longest time ever that I know of when they didn't take any new people in. As people tend to come and go, the rows of desk are getting emptier and emptier ... soon to have a replenishment. Some fresh blood, some fresh people, some fresh ideas.

Some nice people have left, and .. well, I'll try to get them here.

Some things have got better, some worse. And yet so many things will never change... or they will not change until something major changes. Or hmm... not comfortable elaborating this.

Ireland is sometimes painfully slow. M, the guy that I married, that moved from the other site to here finally this year, is still trying to fight the paperwork. Six months to get the licence to work?! Maybe it would be easier being an Irish in America than the other way around. The Irish government is painfully slow - for registering a non-EU spouse of an EU-non-Irish citizen resident in Ireland, they want the original passport, original (only copy of) marriage certificate, and .. my drivers licence and a lot of other original documentation. It can take up to six months for the government to sit on the papers. In which time .... nothing seems to happen. We can't even fly to Dublin as without a passport or driver's licence it's not really possible. Stuck on a T2 salary for 2, great. At least we are not the only ones in this s$$t. Nevertheless, it is getting on the nerves, slowly but surely, day by day consuming a bit, making me want to move mountains to get ANYTHING happen, to gt the life moving again.

We thought of staying in Ireland for a while. It was supposed to be easier for M to get fully documented and got in order here than me on the other side of the ocean. But the patience is getting slow ... I somehow don't see me want to stay here unless something starts to happen soon. Applications, applications .. well mostly for M to get something, on the same time I would not mind a bit to get somewhere warmer where I would not have to ever meet anyone speaking Klingon.

If I try to guess what I will remember of here in a few years ... let me see. Thing number one : not getting a day off for my own weddings. No matter what would happen in the work, I will not forget that. Line coverage? For a single Tuesday? I'm sort of speechless on this. Thing number two probably is that it took over two years to finally move my ass from home to see the Gaol, even though it's less than in a walking distance from home. Thing number three... hmm. The Hollyhill pink glamour velour tracksuits, the Hollyhill 1980s punk/farmer wife hairdon'ts with the three colors... or the way to "organize" the traffic on Blarney Street, or that I had to come all the way to Ireland to discover Swedish cider.

I have no patience in most things, and M has no patience in the same things. Now this waiting the government to get tired of sitting on their European sized a##es and start to move things around is getting annoying. Trying to get anything is getting annoying. Back to where M was before is starting to feel attractive, as is some jobs we have heard back from an HR in Australia .... Back to somewhere via Australia would be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home